This guide covers how to use the Action Builder to configure action settings on your Item. Using Action Builder enables you to autoplay audio and video, autorecord audio, disable navigation, and disable the student from interacting with the Question. The Action Builder is only available to users of the Author Site, and can be found in the advanced tab in the blue sidebar. See Figure 1.
Figure 1 - The Action builder.
Preparing to use the Action Builder
In order to use the Action Builder, you must have populated and saved your Item with at least one Question or Feature. If you wish to, you can now include Audio (along with the Calculator, Protractor, or Ruler) in your Question/Feature, embedded as a Simple Feature.
To embed a Simple Feature, go to the toolbar in the Rich Text Field, and click on the Simple Feature button - seen below in Figure 2. Note that this button is only available with the WYSIHTML toolbar.
Figure 2 - The Simple Feature option.
Selecting an Event
Once your Item is populated to your satisfaction, click the Add button in the Action Builder to start the action configuration.
Figure 3 - Add the first action section to the Action Builder.
You must select either Item event or Widget event. Select the Item event option if you want the action to be triggered when the Item loads.
Figure 4 - Selecting an Item event.
Otherwise, select Widget event; this will trigger an action when something happens to a Widget within the Item - you must specify this Widget in the Reference drop down. Depending on the Widget chosen, you may see some different Event options:
Figure 5 - Selecting a Widget event.
Selecting an Action
Now that you have configured what Event will trigger your Action, you must specify the Action.
You can select either Item action or Widget action. An Item action will be performed by the whole Item:
Figure 6 - Selecting an Item action.
- Go to next item - The Assessment will navigate to the next Item.
- Pause item - The whole Item (all Questions/Features) will be paused.
- Resume item - The whole Item (all Questions/Features) will be resumed.
- Enable navigation - Navigation will be enabled. Use this to enable navigation again after disabling it.
- Disable navigation - Navigation will be disabled. Use this if you do not want the student to navigate away from the Item, e.g. while some Audio plays.
Alternatively, an Action can be performed by a single Widget:
Figure 7 - Selecting a Widget action.
- Enable widget or Disable widget - Disabling the Widget will stop the student from being able to interact with it - use Enable widget when you want to allow interaction again.
- Start recording - The audio recorder will start recording the student.
- Pause recording - The audio recorder will pause itself.
- Resume recording - The audio recorder will resume recording.
- Stop recording - The audio recorder will stop recording.
- Play response - The student response will be autoplayed back to the student.
- Pause response - Playback of the student response will be automatically paused.
- Resume response - Playback of the student response will automatically resume again.
- Stop response - Playback of the student response will be automatically stopped.
- Play/Pause/Resume/Seek/Stop - These commands are related to the Audio and Video players - each command can be configured to happen automatically.
- To configure the auto play to occur when the Item loads on the page, set the event to an Item event. Then, select the Action - this will be a Widget action, as the action is not going to be performed by the whole Item, just part of it (a "Widget"). From the Reference dropdown, select the audio file you wish to apply the autoplay to. You will be able to differentiate each file by its file name. Then, select your Action: Play, Pause, Seek, Resume, or Stop.
- To disable the navigation buttons on the Item, while the audio is playing:
- add a new action (action 2) and select Item event.
- Then select Item action, as the navigation will be disabled across the whole Item.
- From the dropdown, select Disable navigation. We then need to tell the action that we want to Enable navigation again when the audio finishes playing - remember, Action Builder will not know what to do unless it is explicitly told.
- Select Widget event this time, as the event that you want to trigger the action is concerning the Audio file in the Question.
- Select the audio file from the dropdown menu, and select Playback completes as the Event.
- Just like when we Enabled navigation, to disable it we need to select Item action again but this time select Enable navigation instead of Disable navigation.
Figure 9 - Configuring Action Builder to Disable and Enable navigation based on autoplay.
Figure 8 - Configuring Action Builder to auto play audio when the Item loads.