The Passage feature allows you to create and format long text passages, and then add these passages to items. Passages can also be shared across items.
To add a passage, follow the steps below:
- Create an item as normal and from the Features section select Passage.
- In the Feature Editor area, insert the passage Heading and then Contents. This field supports HTML formatted data and includes font styling, paragraph styling, layout templating, embedded images, LaTeX and MathML.
- Click Save and Close to return to the Item.
Figure 1 - Adding a passage using Passage feature.
Additional assets can be applied to a passage. Check out our tutorial on Highlightable Text.
To use an existing passage on an item, follow the steps below:
- Create an item as normal. You will notice three vertical dots appearing in the top right hand corner of the item.
- Click through to Find existing passage.
- This will take you to a list of all passages previously created. From here you can search by content, preview and select the passage you wish to use.
Figure 2 - Using an existing passage on an item.
You can enable paginated content on a shared passage at any time, either when you create the passage or when you edit an existing passage. Check the box beside Enable paginated content - this can be found underneath More options. Multiple text input fields will now appear in the contents area, and each one represents a separate page of the passage.
Figure 3 - Enable paginated content option.
Use the live preview to see how students can view and interact with the paginated passage:
Figure 4 - Paginated passage preview screen.
Drag-and-drop the pages using the drag handle on the left of each text input field:
Figure 5 - Reorder paginated passages.